Wes Stewart

On 26 May 2005 15:37:16 -0500, "Silencer" wrote:

Here is what I have:
I have a brand new Sq.D 200 amp Homeline panel installed in my garage.
I have an available 50 amp breaker.

What I plan to do is run 1" UV-resistant 41UM Rigid PVC along the foundation
above grade for a distance of 50 feet
to a Sq. D. Spa Panel using four strands of #6.
Anyone with a license see any problems with my conduit or wire sizing????
I plan to have a separate 5/8" copper ground rod just for the spa.

Coupla points in adddition to what has already been said. I maybe
wrong (always a distinct possibility) but isn't UM41 water pipe? You
should be using schedule 80 conduit.

At least in the AZ sun, pvc conduit is going to look like a snake
after a while. I would (and did) consider burying it. The
underground part could be schedule 40 then.

If you're using THHN, the usual Home Depot stuff, then 6 AWG should do
it even when derated for temperature, assuming that your spa is like
mine, rated as a 40A load.

Conduit big enough to meet the code for the number and size of
conductors and conduit big enough to actully pull the wire through are
two different things especially if you have any bends.