Chris Lewis

According to meirman :
Someone gave me a used push lawnmower with a Tecumseh 4-stroke engine.
It has no points or condensor under the fly wheel, so I assume that
means it has electronic ignition.

Is there a clear way to test the ignition coil/assembly to see if it
is good or not?

I get no spark, afaict, using an inline neon spark plug tester.

Am I correct in thinking that repairing the ignition coil assembly
will be next to impossible? And that buying a new one will cost more
than any push lawnmower that is probably 10 years old is worth?

I didn't have any trouble getting carb parts (in stock no less)
for a 6HP Tecumseh almost 40 years old. The parts were cheap.

You can test the coil yourself to a certain extent. Coils have
three leads, one of them being the spark plug wire. The resistance
between the two non-plug leads should be pretty low - a few ohms.
The resistance thru the spark plug lead to either of the other leads
will be fairly high, but not infinity.

This isn't a full test, but if it fails it, it's bad for sure.

A small engines repair place may well have a "proper" tester which
is capable of proving the coil good.

[Our small engines night course teacher has a "real tester". Got
to play with it last night.]

Repairing a truly dead ignition coil is virtually impossible.

One of the few things you can repair is cracked coatings on the
winding (_not_ the wire insulation, but the outer weather shield).
[make sure it's dry, and then coat it with RTV.]

Ignition coils aren't very expensive, you'll also find them
pretty universal between Tecumseh engines of even remotely similar
vintages. The link below says "These are just a few Tecumseh
Ignition/Electrical Parts".

http://willardssmallengines.com/shop...rts/page1.html
for example, lists several Tecumseh coils from about $25 to $45. A lawn mower
probably uses the cheap one.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est