Andy

Andy writes:

What you are describing is simple to do. Your insurance will only
have a problem
with your own work if THAT is the reason for a fire and that
unacceptable procedures
were used. They won't fail to pay a claim unless your negligence
caused the
problem.....

So, if you know how to do the work, I think you should get on with
it, since it is
a simple task... However, if you don't know how to do the work,
reading over the
NEC and asking questions of the guy at Home Depot can't hurt a bit.
Think of it
as an opportunity to learn a few things you haven't thought of....

I realize that your focus is on completing your project and you
probably don't want
to stop and pick up another skill before continuing..... Have patience.
Set your
project back a month or so and learn about this stuff. It's fairly
interesting, and will
serve you well for the rest of your life. In the process, you may even
discover that
you want to hire the work done, even if you understand how to do it
yourself. Sometimes
that happens with stuff like "fishing for wires inside walls", and
"digging trenches
24 inches deep and installing a ground fault interrupter". Sometimes,
it just ain't
worth the hassle.....

But good luck on your project. It seems to me that the local unions
have gotten another
law passed to screw the homeowner....

In MY area, any outside work, regardless of the type, MUST be done by
a "master
electrician". Outside extension cords MUST be type "sj". etc
etc......

...... unfortunately, I am not aware of these laws, passed in a town
several hundred
miles away, and will innocently do the job myself, even though I am
only a
registered EE and have been doing this stuff for 40 years...... I sure
hope I don't
go to jail.....

........ on the other hand, some of that good Texas jail food and a
sweet cellmate
named "Big Pancho" may be just what is needed to put a rebel like
myself
in line (grin) ....

Andy