James \Cubby\ Culbertson

That's more like it. It's not well publicized until you call them to ask
(and that was a feat in itself...getting someone to return a call/email).
I can guarantee that a large percentage of "added circuits, additional
lights, etc.." are done with no permit in hand. For me though, I think I'll
go through the rig-a-ma-roll of staying legal if for no other reason than to
insure a possible claim against my homeowner's insurance doesn't get dropped
if heaven forbid, something should happen.
Cheers,
cc

"Calvin Henry-Cotnam" wrote in message
Olaf ) said...

[regarding NM requirement of testing for an electrical permit]

I wonder if the electrical systems in NM are safer because even homeowners
must be able to interpret the NEC to do any permit work.

I wonder if the electrical systems in NM are LESS safe because the permit
requirements scare enough off from going that route and just wing it with
no inspector ever looking at it to make sure it complies with code.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon