HeyBub

jbclem wrote:
Continuing 'Roof turbines, are they a good idea"...

I have an old and small two story house that gets very hot upstairs.
I just checked the roof vent situation and discovered there were no
soffits, and the two vents, one on either end of the house just under
the ridge, are 7 inches high and 12 inches wide. I measured the air
temp difference and outside the vent it was 72 degrees and 4 inches
inside the vent 86 degrees. This was on the cool end of the house,
probably a larger difference on the other end. I also saw there was
no insulation above the ceiling. The max distance from the ceiling
to the ridge is about 2 feet. The ceiling area square footage is
about 500 sq ft.

I had no sense of any convection or air movement out of these two
vents, could they be just too small to do anything?

Given the situation, and the fact that the area where the soffits
would be is covered with asbestos siding so not something I can
easily cut holes in, what should I do? Enlarge the small roof vents,
add a roof turbine, something else?

Whatever air that goes out has to come in somewhere. With no soffits....

Can you put a fan at one of the existing vents?