L. M. Rappaport

On Thu, 26 May 2005 08:04:54 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote (with possible editing):

Hello:

Moved into a 30 yr old house that has the vertical T1-11 (I'm told that is
what it is called)
for the outside surface. Several pieces are damage, as well as some of the
ends having soaked
up water over the years, and should be replaced.

T111 was never meant to be siding, it is considered sheathing, like
the normal 5/8" CDX which it replaces, although the grooves make it
somewhat better looking. The idea was that you could apply sheathing
when built and apply siding later.

You should replace the damaged T111 before doing anything. That is
the only barrier between the inside and the outside!

Normal construction places sheathing over the studs and then the
siding is applied over that.

Guess there are several ways to go.

I can have vinyl siding applied.

You might want to provide an extra layer of insulation first.

Another possibility that I was wondering about is whether it is possible, or
practical,
to have the more normal/conventional horizontal wood board type of siding
applied.
Not sure what the correct term is (clapboards ?)

That would be fine. Normally, you would apply a layer of Typar first.

Any thoughts on this, particularly regarding whether it can, or should, be
applied directly over
the existing T1-11 ?

No problem, that is the way it was originally designed to be used.

Would like to consider doing it without stripping the whole house. Also, I
imagine it would provide a bit more insulation, and be a lot simpler and
inexpensive to do it without removing the old T1-11 first.

Thoughts on ?

Thanks,
Bob

--