William W. Plummer

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

Moved into a 30 yr old house that has the vertical T1-11 (I'm told that is
what it is called)
for the outside surface. Several pieces are damage, as well as some of the
ends having soaked
up water over the years, and should be replaced.

Guess there are several ways to go.

I can have vinyl siding applied.

Another possibility that I was wondering about is whether it is possible, or
practical,
to have the more normal/conventional horizontal wood board type of siding
applied.
Not sure what the correct term is (clapboards ?)

Any thoughts on this, particularly regarding whether it can, or should, be
applied directly over
the existing T1-11 ?

Would like to consider doing it without stripping the whole house. Also, I
imagine it would provide a bit more insulation, and be a lot simpler and
inexpensive to do it without removing the old T1-11 first.

Have the old T 1-11 removed, exposing the plywood siding. Then have
Tyvek wrapper applied to cut heat loss by air flow. Then, styrofoam
insulation goes on. Finally, the finish siding of your choice. On a
Cape style house, I like cedar shakes. Real wood clapboards are good
also, but require paining. Vinyl siding looks too uniform for my taste
and it can break. Aluminum dents.