zxcvbob

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Hiya Folks,
Getting everything in order to build a courtyard wall at my residence. I
intend to extend a lighting circuit and hang a couple of fixtures off the
wall. The State of NM requires me to get a permit for the electrical
portion of the work (as they should I suppose). To get this permit, I have
to pass a small exam. They describe it as "the first 4 chapters of the NEC
code" and the "NM Electrical code". This is a closed book exam. They are
kind enough to sell me the NEC and NM Codes for $90 but offer no study guide
etc... for me to use. Should I fail the exam, I can re-take in no less than
30 days. Has anyone got any advice on how to prepare for such a thing (ie.
just what are the 4 chapters in the Code Book?). I really don't want to
plonk down $90 so I can run 20 ft. of conduit (yeah, I'm being cheap!). I
suppose I can take it and then I'll know what sort of material they are
covering but I really don't want to wait a month to be able to get this
done.
Thanks for any advice.
Cheers,
cc

Is there an electrical outlet nearby? Hang the fixture from hooks (do
not permanently attach them to the wall) and plug them into an extension
cord. You can redo them later; this is just to say FU to the inspector
because you won't need a permit for it. Or maybe you can use kerosene
lamps. You can redo it later after they sign off on the structural work
and nobody is looking.

I ordinarily would not recommend doing the work without a permit, but is
sounds like the permit system there is designed to screw homeowners, and
I doubt anybody can pass their test on the second try (if you do pass,
they'll say you cheated.) The reason for the 30 days until you can take
the test again is so you'll hire out the work to one of their buddies.

Someone else said go to the library to get last years code book. Good idea.

If they have adopted the NEC into law, they need to have a copy
available for reference. You won't be able to take it home but you
should be able to demand to read it.

Best regards,
Bob