Mike O'Donnell

Thanks for all the comments.

I worked on the washer today. Other than some lint and cobwebs, the unit
was suprisingly clean and everthing looked in good shape inside. The hoses
were flexible, nothing clogged, etc. When I took the pump off there was
some sideways play in the bearing, and it seemed like as it rotated it had
some tighter spots. It also had a noticible water stain from the hub seal,
so I went ahead and replaced it. After purchasing the new one, I broke open
up the old pump housing. The impeller was not solidly connected to the
shaft, and the bearing/seal at the hub was pretty worn. Also some of the
plastic on the inside of the pump housing was worn away, so between them all
I figure that's what was causing the water to not all drain. The total from
a local supplier was about $32.

I went ahead and checked some of the other areas like the motor coupling. I
wouldn't say they were like new, but everything seemed very solid with no
cracks or other obvious excessivly worn areas. Not bad for an 18 year old
washer. If I get a few more years out of it, it's worth it.

Mike O.

"Mike O'Donnell" wrote in message
. ..
I have an 18 year old Kenmore direct drive washer. Lately it's not been
draining the tub completely, and occassionally I've seen a small amount of
water leaking from the front. I'm pretty certain that I'm going to be
replacing the pump. While I have it apart I'm going to do an inspection
and cleaning, and even though it doesn't seem to be having any other
issues, is there anything else (gaskets, seals, etc.) that I should just go
ahead and replace, or at least pay special attention to? Most of those
parts are pretty inexpensive and I'd rather replace them while I'm working
on the rest of the unit instead of waiting six months and disassembling the
washer again.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Mike O.