Duane Bozarth

Everyone knows that lamination is the key to structural strength.
Lately, they are making beams out of plywood. For example, they make
a 2 inch thick 12 inch wide "plank" that is supposed to be stronger
than a 2X12 board. I see these things being used in a lot of places
these days.

So, if they can hold up a house with strips of shaved wood that are
less than 1/8th inch thick, why not laminate duct tape.
I want to create a beam capable of supporting an entire house, and
made entirely of laminated duct tape.

Are there any scientists out here that would know how to determine the
amount of layers, width, thickness, and final dimensions of the beam?
Also, how many rolls of tape would be needed? The beam needs to be
40 feet long. There will be one center post at exactly dead center
(20 feet). The house will be a two story home, 24 feet wide and 40
feet long. This beam will support the center of the home, with 2X8
floor joists resting on this beam, with structural walls down the
center of both the first and second floor, up to the peak of the roof.
The ends of the beam will sit on a poured concrete foundation. The
center upright post will be a steel column, however, a duct tape post
is also an option I have considered.

Meeks

This obviously is a question for Red Green...