Jeff Wisnia

w_tom wrote:
First decide what your objective is. For example, wall
receptacles are grounded firstmost for human safety. That
safety grounding also accomplishes other lesser functions.
But other, less expensive methods can provide same human
safety. Earthing the electric panel is both for human safety
AND for transistor safety. This being different from
grounding of wall receptacles. And there is no alternative to
earthing.

Converting all wall receptacles to 3 wire is a massive
undertaking - typically rewiring the house. Earthing the
breaker box is a minor job that should be installed
everywhere. Those are two different types of grounding. Both
are part of a human safety system. And both also have
different functions. First define your strategic objectives.
Then your question can be better answered. Why are you
grounding? What problems, current and future, do you want to
solve?

It is probably a good idea to consider three wire outlets in
the kitchen since 1946 kitchen wire is, by today's standards,
undersized. But again, first you must define the problem to
be solved.

And for "person safety", as a minimum you should replace the kitchen
outlets with GFCI ones asap, labeled as "Unconnected Ground" if as you
say you have no grounds available in their boxes. That'll prevent
someone from getting electrocuted by an appliance with an insulation
fault if they touch it and a water faucet at the same time. (DON'T use a
GFCI on the refrigerator outlet.)

nobertos wrote:

I need to upgrade my home electricity - I have a home built in 1946. I
don't have any grounded outlets, and most all are only 2 prong.

You mean you already have *some* 3 prong outlets with no ground
connected to them? If you do, you really should label them as
"Unconnected Ground".

What are my options? Do I have to put a ground rod in (sounds hard)?

As someone else mentioned, "BX" armored cable was being used in homes
back then, and if your home is wired with it, you *may* be able to
distribute grounds to all your outlets through the steel armor of that
cable, but a check with your local electrical inspector would be in
order before doing that.

I'd like to have all 3 prong grounded outlets.

-c

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia