James Bond

Peabody wrote in news:c99je.13204$jj.5964
@lakeread06:

I'm told that roof turbines (non-powered) don't leak when it rains
as long as they still turn freely. Is that pretty reliable
information?

And they don't let wasps in either? :-)

I am a super amateur (who has recently asked questions here regarding
attic venting options, so you might want to check out those threads as I
got some really good advice in them) but I can tell you my personal
experience with the turbines. According to the original owner, my house
has had its turbines for about 15 years now. They almost never leak.
Occasionally, during a really, really hard, driven rain, there will be
some minimal leaking. They even have been through a couple of minor
hurricanes without serious leaking. The area around and under the
turbines show no moisture damage during these 15 years, so the problem is
very minimal. Now if this leakage were to happen directly onto ceiling
drywall, there might be some issue, but fortunatley for me, there is a
wooden deck creating a partial floor in the attic that is under both
turbines and they (the wooden planks) have not taken any noticable damage
from the very occasional leakage.