HerHusband

Frank,

The only thing I could find that resembles the 'transition union' or
'adaptors' described here in this thread, is a unit made of two
components - it has copper on one side that has to have the 1/2 inch
copper pipe soldered into it, and this copper has a male thread on
it's other side. This male thread is joined to the second component -
a brass (I think it's brass) Female thread ring that is similar to the
end of a hosepipe, which has a washer and the cpvc piece within. The
cpvc must be glued to the 1/2 inch cpvc pipe.

That sounds like the proper fitting. The coupling ring does indeed look a
lot like the end of a garden hose (though types with plastic rings are also
available). Ironically, I haven't seen the type with sweated copper
fittings around here, but I know they exist. All of the ones I have seen
have threaded brass ends on the copper side.

Remember to disassemble the transition union and solder the copper piece on
first. Otherwise, you'll melt the CPVC side and/or the gasket.

Also make sure you slide the coupling ring over the pipe on the proper end
before soldering/gluing the fitting in place. You don't want to discover
you left out the ring or put it on the wrong side after you've assembled
everything... And don't forget the gasket when you put it all together.

Anthony