Ken

Texas Yankee wrote:
I need a sanity check - my AC went out a two weeks ago - the tech found a
loose/burnt wire (on the start wind terminal - whatever that means) - he
re-attached it - he mentioned that the compressor seemed to be working
normally, but it was 10 years old and out of warranty - AC wend down again
last night - he came out today, the same wire was burned out - he
re-attached the wire, mentioned that he may not have repaired it correctly
last time, but then again it could be a compressor problem - the compressor
is a RUUD UAKA037JAZ - no charge for this trip - but he wrote on the bill
that a compressor would run $1,487.07 if it eventually needed to be
replaced - does this pricing sound close to reasonable? These guys have
always seemed honest and reliable previously, but $1400 is $1400 - I gotta
check. Thanks, experts!

Don't buy anything until you get someone else to look at it. He may be
completely honest, but almost 30 years ago I called an A/C man to look
at my new unit. He agreed it was under warranty and replacement of the
compressor would be free, but labor was not. I thanked him and fixed
the problem in five minutes after he had left. It was the contactor was
not energized due to corroded wires from the thermostat. They were
twisted together instead of soldered, and the copper corroded.

Lastly, the same compressor is still working fine 30 years later. I
guess he was either incompetent, or a crook. My guess is the latter.
Not all are, but it is wise to get another opinion.