John Willis

On Mon, 23 May 2005 15:53:10 GMT, blueman
scribbled this interesting note:

I keep on being tempted by the cheap prices at Harborfreight that
allow me to indulge in tools that I never would be able to justify
otherwise.

If they arrive in good condition, I have found them to work
satisfactorily for my type of DIY projects (despite the warnings
others have about quality).

My problem, however, has been that the items are typically so poorly
packed that they arrive broken.

For example,
(1) I had to order 3 compressors before I received one
without a broken plastic motor casing.

(2) I have now received 2 broken nailers in a row

(3) Twice my shipments of nails have arrived with the boxen open and
the nails strewn all over the box.

(4) The boxes themselves are almost always poorly packed with heavy/rugged
and light/delicate items mixed together in one large box,
separated by only a few kernels of styrofoam. Often the box itself
arrives ripped or damaged.

- Am I just having bad luck or have others experienced the same
problem?

- Has anyone succeeded in getting them to have better quality control?
(with just about every order requiring some re-shipping of items it
is hard to believe that they are saving money this way...)

You know all those raw materials we send to China? Paper, Steel, etc.?
What you (and I) buy at Harbor Freight is really all those raw
materials sent back to us a finished goods and related packaging. They
don't spend any extra to make sure the packaging is really top notch
(or the finished goods either!:~) I suppose I'm lucky since there is a
Harbor Freight store just a few miles from where we live so I've never
had to order anything from the and have it shipped. Sounds like your
story illustrates the need to only order certain kinds of items from
the since the packaging is so insufficient.

For items like air compressors, you would really be better off buying
a top notch compressor that you won't break or wear out. For the cost
of two or three disposable pancake compressors you can buy far better
equipment that is rebuildable and made in the US. We run Thomas
compressors and have for more than twenty years. When the teflon rings
wear out, we take them in, spend a hundred dollars, and get back a
compressor that runs just as well as it did brand new. This kind of
compressor is rated at 10,000 hours of use between service intervals,
or 40 hours a week for five years! You pay more, but you get more in
return.

Good luck with Harbor Freight. I'd imagine with the shipping costs
figured in you could do better to buy better tools locally. Sure
you'll still spend a little more, but you have the option of locally
servicing those tools as well.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)