Rick

"Pop" wrote in message ...

I have found that with my Hayward DE filter, if I
only put 25% of the
recommended DE into the filter it runs much longer
before it becomes
clogged indicating it's time to backwash...

=== That's because it's not filtering as well. A high
concentration of algae shouldn't depend on the filter
to clear it, anyway.

Question: Should I run the filter without any DE in
the filter until I
get all the Algae out of the water? Will it hurt
the filter to run it
without DE in it? How do I get the pool water
cleaned up without
backwashing four times a day?

=== Well, if it's a Hayward, which I have and I think
you mentioned, check out the paperwork: Specifically
you should NEVER run without earth for more than a
minute or two. RTFM.

I heard from my pool cleaner friend and he gave the
following steps:

1. Shock the pool with chlorine (1 gal. for every 10,000
gallons of water, PLUS 1 gal). So for a 30,000 gal. pool
add a total of 4 gallons. Pour it around the edge of the
entire pool so it's well distributed.

2. While running the filter continuously, brush pool walls
and floor with a stiff 18" brush. This will get the algae
into suspension so the chlorine can kill it.

3. 24 hours later, vacuum to waste the bottom of pool
to remove dead algae and debris.

4. Next day, take apart filter and clean grids thoroughly.
Add new DE to skimmer to recoat grids. If filter grids
are shot, DE will simply come back into the pool when
it's added. So add just a small amount of DE initially to
be sure it holds.

5. Adjust acid to adjust PH if necessary.