George E. Cawthon

quietguy wrote:
Maybe, but I doubt it. My thoughts are that due to arcing etc the grease
that lubed the switch mech has melted and flowed to the contacts, casuing
more arcing etc etc

As far as I know grease is an insulator, not a conductor

David

wrote:

come on now..... if there wasn't supposed to be grease in there, why
would the manufacturer put it in there to start with.
Even in low amperage switches like "mode switches" in VCR's they put
grease in there to not only reduce the friction and wear but to keet
the contacts from oxidizing..... put grease in there for sure.... even
a heavier general purpose grease would be just fine for the higher
amperage and heavier contact spring tension switch like in the heater
fan switch. If you run it dry, you will lose the switch in a much
shorter time.
electricitym
.
.

I suggest you open and look at a few switches,
especially older ones that are designed to be
repaired.