tom

I just built a 8x20 porch with a simple half gable roof (not a hip
roof).
Just finished putting up the roof decking. Looking at it from the
house,
I think it would look better if the roof were a bit narrower at the top

than the bottom (giving the effect of the hip roof I guess). Would it
be ok to leave 6-8" overhang at top, and 12" at the bottom? There
would be 4-6" difference in width between top and bottom. Since I
am covering with wood shingle, I can cut the shingles accordingly.
I am wondering though if this would create a problem with water runoff
down the sides. Thanks, Jeff

A half-gable roof, that would be a "shed" roof? If I'm reading this
correctly, sure, you can do it. You'll need a flashing at the top.
Tom