Gideon

Stormy,

I would very strongly assume that your cordless drills do
NOT have lead acid batteries, in which case I would strongly
suggest that you do not use a float charger. An auto battery
float charger on NiCad batteries would create even more
problems for you.

Gideon

==============

Stormin Mormon wrote in message ...
Regrets, no there isn't a full charge light. However, it's a 12 volt system,
so I'd considered tying it into a float charger. Seems that would be smarter
than the trickle charger it's got now.

Wondering also maybe to try adaptor to lighter socket, charge while on the
road.

Someone else suggested a shutoff timer like like they use in bathrooms for
an infared light. That would work nicely, also.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Gideon" wrote in message
Stormy,

You can always use the cheap lamp timers (K-Mart, WalMart, Lowes,
H.D., etc.) if you want to gamble that way. Do the chargers have
indicator lights which let you know when the cells are fully charged?
If so, then you really should monitor the recharge visually. With the
timer, you are just guessing how much undercharge or overcharge
you will apply to the cells.

Better yet, buy one of the many "universal smart chargers" and do it
right. You can cut the cord from the dumb chargers and tie it into
the smart charger via a "quick connect" plug. That way your new
setup consists of smart charger tied to cable which has a quick
connect, tied to the original cable which now has a quick connect,
tied to Harbor Freight tool (or the Harbor Freight battery charger
cradle.)

Harbor freight sells some great bargain tools, but many of their
chargers are crap. They sell more tools that way.

Good luck,
Gideon