nobertos

Default Landscaping with native plants - San Diego

Hi,
I'd like to 'redo' my entire back yard's landscaping - a daunting task.
I am interested in getting some tips on how to create a landscape
'design' and then carry it out to completion, mostly on my own on the
weekends for cheap (I hope) and hopefully using native plants and a
somewhat 'natural' look to the yard. I live in San Diego and my back
yard was mostly just entirely overgrown with iceplant and this one
nasty tree that had shoots coming up out of its entire root system
which covered most of the center of the back yard. I have the tree
entirely cut down and removed, except for the stump, which I'm still
working on. I tore up all the ice plant and put it in a big pile... now
i have to figure out what to do next! Hints?

The 50 foot wide by 60 feet deep yard has a mild slope that increases
as you go further away from the house. I'm thinking of making several
terraced levels so that there will at least be some flat space for kids
to play in.

-c