Greg O

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
On 05/18/05 09:45 pm Greg O tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Does the NEC specify the maximum height a panel and/or breakers may be
above the floor? What about a minimum height above a floor or other
horizontal surface (e.g., a workbench)?

A workbench under a panel will not pass NEC. Absolutely nothing but air 3
feet in front of a panel.

So let's suppose that a house is built with a panel on a wall, and that is
the only thing on the wall. How does Joe Homeowner know that it's not OK
to use this perfectly good wall space to put his workbench against? Does
the builder (or, specifically, the electrician) put "Keep this space
clear" warning signs on that wall and on the floor in front of it? There
certainly aren't any in my house, and I don't recall seeing such in any of
the much newer houses I've seen.

I'm not saying you're wrong -- and I've now found Web sites that support
/you -- but I'd be willing to bet that there are thousands of residences
around the US with a workbench under the panel because it's never occurred
to anybody that it's not OK. I put cabinets and a countertop under mine (I
can move them easily enough to another wall), and the only reason I asked
the question was because I'm about to install a larger panel and I wanted
to be sure I was allowing sufficient clearance above the countertop.

Perce

You asked, I answered, do what you want! Because it is done does not mean it
is acceptable, or some how passes code.
There is no code for clearance above a counter top because it is not allowed
in the NEC.
Greg