Percival P. Cassidy

On 05/18/05 09:45 pm Greg O tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Does the NEC specify the maximum height a panel and/or breakers may be
above the floor? What about a minimum height above a floor or other
horizontal surface (e.g., a workbench)?

A workbench under a panel will not pass NEC. Absolutely nothing but air 3
feet in front of a panel.

So let's suppose that a house is built with a panel on a wall, and that
is the only thing on the wall. How does Joe Homeowner know that it's not
OK to use this perfectly good wall space to put his workbench against?
Does the builder (or, specifically, the electrician) put "Keep this
space clear" warning signs on that wall and on the floor in front of it?
There certainly aren't any in my house, and I don't recall seeing such
in any of the much newer houses I've seen.

I'm not saying you're wrong -- and I've now found Web sites that support
/you -- but I'd be willing to bet that there are thousands of residences
around the US with a workbench under the panel because it's never
occurred to anybody that it's not OK. I put cabinets and a countertop
under mine (I can move them easily enough to another wall), and the only
reason I asked the question was because I'm about to install a larger
panel and I wanted to be sure I was allowing sufficient clearance above
the countertop.

Perce