songofruth

DH is a hardwood flooring guy... been in the business for over 26
years. He says the problem is the humidity. That's why we have a
hygrometer on every floor. This morning it was 51% on the top floor
and 64% in the basement. It's never been that high. DH says that for
hardwood floors it's best to keep the humidity around 35-40%, even
lower if possible.

At one point DH was wanting a Humidex - which is just a big exhaust fan
hooked up to a humidistat but for the wonderful price of like over $1K.

We have someone coming out tomorrow to see about a whole house
dehumidifier hooked up to the central HVAC. I suspect it will be mega
bucks and I'd be happier with something less expensive that would do
the job.

The AC in the house is geothermal and doesn't seem to pull as much
moisture out of the air as a regular system.

Take care,
Melody

David Martel wrote:
First, why do you think that humidity is
causing problems? Have you measured the humidity? A cheap hygometer

can be
bought at Radio Shack for about $30. I would think that an average

humidity
above 70% would be needed to cause problems and you should be seeing

mold
and mildew as well. Second,