toller

"JimL" wrote in message
On 18 May 2005 10:43:22 -0700, "dean" wrote:

My questions a

1) Are the big hairy vine stalks that attach to trees covered with the
nasty stuff, or is it just the leaves?

2) If they are bad, how long after one has been cut and killed (for
example on a fallen tree) does it retain potency?

3) What I'm doing is collecting wood from my neighbors land after he
cuts down trees, and some of them have the vine attached. If I just
pull off the vine, is the wood safe to handle or not? Will it be unsafe
after its been seasoned for a year?

Thanks in advance!

Dean

I've always been able to handle poison ivy without having a
reaction. My wife, however, has a severe reaction from the smallest
exposure. I've climbed trees covered with it and stood and warmed
by the fire made with it, breathing the smoke - all without a
reaction. That seems to indicate that your answer greatly depends on
your allergic reaction to it.

I could roll in the stuff with no ill effect. Then one day when I was 42...
It is best to stay away from it, because repeated exposure can trigger
allergies.