toller

"Doug Miller" wrote in message
In article . com, "dean"
wrote:
My questions a

1) Are the big hairy vine stalks that attach to trees covered with the
nasty stuff, or is it just the leaves?

*All* of it. Leaves, vines, roots, everything.

2) If they are bad, how long after one has been cut and killed (for
example on a fallen tree) does it retain potency?

If you're sensitive to it, you should assume "forever".

3) What I'm doing is collecting wood from my neighbors land after he
cuts down trees, and some of them have the vine attached. If I just
pull off the vine, is the wood safe to handle or not? Will it be unsafe
after its been seasoned for a year?

I wouldn't worry about it - but then I'm pretty nearly immune to the
stuff.
Your mileage may vary. :-) I doubt there'd be much residue on the wood,
but if
you're really concerned about it, wear gloves, debark the wood with a
hatchet,
and discard the bark along with the vines.

I would agree pretty much with what was said. However, people who are not
sensitive to it (it is not a matter of immunity, as there is no toxin
involved; some people are allergic, and some aren't) should eat large
quantities of it raw to protect that insensitivity.
(Well, not everyone; just Doug)