bregent

In article tpuie.4322$Vu6.917@trndny03, Eric and Megan Swope says...

Hi. What is the proper way to solder? I am trying to solder 2 copper
wires, same material as electrical wires, 14 gauge as a matter of fact
together, but the solder won't stick to the wires. I cleaned the wires with
sandpaper, but no luck. I am holding the solder on the wires and touching
the soldering wires to the solder, but it won't take to the wires. Any help
is appreciated. Thanks.

Lots of good advice so far. One thing I didn't see mentioned was 'tinning' the
leads. What that basically means is that before soldering the wires together,
coat each lead with a small amount of solder first. Then proceed to solder the
two leads together.