The Natural Philosopher

Default Central heating using radiators in an open plan house with high ceilings

IMM wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:

From what I hear most people
who have it love it, and it seems to be the system of choice for large
spaces because it heats the occupants rather than the air. However I

think

control systems have to be different for it, partly because of typical

UFH

systems' long warm-up and cool-down times, and partly because systems

based

on room thermostats sensing the air temperature probably won't get a

good

measure of the comfort of the room.

50% right. You need to bring it on typically a vouple of hours before
you would a conventional system, but simple temp monitoring workes prtty
well for me. Teh feed forward is just a differentail applied so that te
heating firtes up a bit when it senses a falling temperature coming
towards the required temp. Its a bit of a nicety and not really necessary.

You know nothing of CH control, especially UFH control.

Posssibly not, Eliza. But I have been running it successefully for 2
years, and the above is what I have found in practice.

But don';t let practical excpernec get in teh way of glossy brcxhures
and teh Bunper Book of How Things Work.

From what I remember hearing in other
discussions in this group feed-forward systems
which adjust the heat input to the system in
response to outside temperatures are particularly good for
UFH.

Possibly,

Most certainly, in a changeable climate like the UK.

BUT with decent isulation its really
not necressary. maybe it
koncks a percent or two off teh heating bill.

With decent insulation, and a house that is reasonably well air-tight with
good insulated windows (low "e" or triple glazed), you don't need UFH at
all. A couple of fan Mysons can bring the house up to temp very quickly and
incidental gains will keep it ticking over.

yeaj, right.