Pop

Was the concrete cracked? Anything opening up voids in
it?

Probably not, as it was built that way. There might
even be a drain in the center of the room if it was
built that way. The space you "bought" might have
originally been something other than an apartment; do
you know anything bout the history of the building?

Watch out: Before you do anything to "fix" that, be
certain the condo rules & regs don't forbid it, or you
could get in to some pretty hot water. You're getting
some pretty strange advice for a condo. You own a
condo, but you can't necessarily do anything you want
to or with it. Check your papers carefulyy.

Pop

"fh101" wrote
in message ...
I recently moved into a second story condo and have
encountered what
might be a serious problem. When I was looking at
the condo, I
noticed a gradual dip in the middle of the carpeted
living room
(approximately 10' X 10' and perhaps 1 inch deep at
the center). We
hired a building inspector to check it out and were
told that the
plywood floorboards were slipping due to settling,
though the condo
was structurally sound. He also said that this could
easily be fixed
at a minimal cost by pulling back the plywood and
reinforcing the
frame with some 4X4's. Well, today I peeled back the
carpet to take
a look and discovered that the subfloor isn't
plywood, it's concrete!
What the ?!?

Anyways, the condo is about 20 years old and the
previous owners
assured me that the dip hasn't increased in the past
6 years or so.
Assuming that the frame is in decent shape, what
would be the best
(and most economical) way of leveling the floor? I
only plan on
living here for another 3-5 years and don't want to
spend too much in
improvements. At the same time, I'd hate for my
floor to collapse
onto my neighbors downstairs. Any advice? Thank you
in advance.