MikeP

In article ,
says...

"JimL" wrote in message
None of the 5000 homes in my division have shutfoff valves except at
the street water meter. 1980 to 2005.

Many of the communities require calling the city utility company to
shut off the water. Then they started charging a fee, so lots of
people like yourself installed their own shutoff.

I just cannot imagine NOT having one when an emergency problem arises. The
cost of installing one when the house was build would probably have been $20
or so. That puts $100,000 in the hands of the builder. You can be sure I'd
put one in.

It is not 100k in the hands of the builders, it is 100K plus markup
that was not passed on to the buyers.

FWIW in many parts of the USA the practical place to install the
cut off is at the street, just past the water meter. We do not
have basements (too expensive), meters are installed at the street
\property line (the only place the water company will install
them).