nonews

The choice varies between "pros". The pro guy with a truck and a business
card will probably buy based upon price. The professional horticulturist at
an arboretum will have expensive top grade by-pass pruning shears and they
will be kept very sharp. He will never exceed their cutting capacity. He
will switch to ratcheting loppers and they will be very sharp by-pass type
with heavy steel handles. He will also carry a saw when pruning.

The by-pass type allows precise cutting. When I studied Horticulture in one
of the prior centuries, I was taught to cut flush with the trunk and only
the by-pass would allow that. Now the teaching is to cut at or just into the
collar of growth where the branch joins the trunk. Healing is considered to
be faster with the collar left on. With the change in position of the cut
both the anvil and by-pass types can be precise. There has been some
concern that the anvil type crushes branch but in reality it probably
doesn't make any difference.

Having said all that, the key is to keep the pruning shears very sharp and
never exceed the size capacity. Since I never do that, reality is to buy a
new by-pass pair every spring.

"Colbyt" wrote in message
This is a question anyone who uses pruning shears can answer. I haven't seen
any pruning pros hanging out in this group.

I have an set old anvil pruning shears (Craftsman) that I have used for 20
years. They finally quit cutting as clean as I like. Last fall I bought a
set of by-pass pruning shears from a store I won't name. I admit to
cutting stock slightly larger than the recommended (.5 vs. .75). These new
ones now cut worse than the old ones.

I need to buy a new pair or repair the older set.

My questions:

Which type do you think is better?

Which can cut stock slightly bigger with no damage?

Did I purchase at the wrong place or brand or is this typical? I do a lot
of pruning so I need something that works and holds up.

Colbyt