zxcvbob

B. Adams wrote:
"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in
:

wrote in message

Why did you use a 12-2 wire for FOUR 20A circuits. If you have not
yet buried the cable, I'd replace it with at least 10-2, or
preferably 10-3, which would give you 220 availablity. Otherwise,
you are running a 20A circuit to four 20A breakers. Rather
pointless.

The 12-2 may not be very good if you add any power tools. Most table
saws should be on a 20S by themselves and not with lights.

Thanks for the advice, everybody. I gather that there was really no need
to install a breaker box in the outbuilding. I was wondering about that
since the main panel in the house would offer circuit protection. So when
exactly would you need to install a subpanel or additional box in a
separate structure?

You put a subpanel (service panel) in the outbuilding when you *really*
want more than one circuit out there. A building can only have one
electric circuit coming in (with a few very specific and odd
exceptions.) So you run a *big* circuit into the building and then use
the panel to split it up into multiple small circuits.

In your case, maybe you would run 10/3 cable with a 2-pole (240v) 30A
breaker in the panel at the house, then have several 15A or 20A breakers
in the garage panel, and have the capability of later adding a 20A 240V
breaker for an air compressor or 3500W electric heater without needing
to add any new wire from the house. Another good thing about that is,
if you overload a circuit, the smaller breaker in the outbuilding
usually trips rather than the big one in the house.

Best regards,
Bob