DanG

Ask for a water shut off key at ACE, Home Depot, Lowe's, a local
plumbing shop, etc.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"frank1492" wrote in message
Why was I of the impression that homeowners were not supposed
to tamper with the town's valves? (The house is in CT.) We do
know
where the valve is, and it is accessible. Are keys readily
available
to deal with these?

On Sun, 15 May 2005 06:49:44 -0700, Dick LeadWinger wrote:

On Sun, 15 May 2005 13:22:51 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"

wrote:

"JimL" wrote in message
None of the 5000 homes in my division have shutfoff valves
except at
the street water meter. 1980 to 2005.

Many of the communities require calling the city utility
company to
shut off the water. Then they started charging a fee, so
lots of
people like yourself installed their own shutoff.

I just cannot imagine NOT having one when an emergency problem
arises. The
cost of installing one when the house was build would probably
have been $20
or so. That puts $100,000 in the hands of the builder. You
can be sure I'd
put one in.

I don't see it as any big deal. I bought a long sprinkler
shut-off
tool from Home Depot. If I need to turn off the water, I just
pop off
the meter box cover near the street and turn the water off.
Would
take me just as long if the shut-off were next to the house.