James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Not sure what's in your head when you say "blow torch". If you're talking
a propane job
typically used to sweat pipes, you'll be there a long time. For cutting or
bending, it is recommended to
use an oxyacetylene setup. I would try straightening it first. What
have you got to lose other than
pulling it out and putting a new pipe in the ground?
Cheers,
cc

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have an installed basketball driveway hoop that was here when we
bought the house. It is a really nice glass backboard hoop that costs
probably close to $ 500 to replace. Anyway, when a guy was delivering
firewood a couple of years ago, he backed into it and bent it right
near the bottom. It is now listing to the right and it it really
annoying. I don't want to get rid of it because like I said it is such
a nice backboard. What can I do short of blow torching it off (I would
lose about 5 - 6 inches of height, but I would rather have it straight)
Then dig up the concrete, and re-set it in the ground? Seems like
alot of work, and I have no experience with a blow torch. Could I put
a chain around it up high and attach it to a vehicle and attempt to
re-straighten it, but would that be possible and wouldn't the bottom of
it be permanently weakend?

Any help would be appreciated