George E. Cawthon

ng_reader wrote:
wrote in message

On Fri, 13 May 2005 16:34:47 -0400, "ng_reader"
wrote:

Peeps,

I have this 2" copper pipe that I want to cut into sections for some
decorative/restorative reasons.

Shopping at my local (yep, local) Harbor Freight store, I picked up a $12
gigantic pipe cutter.

Everyone who knows Harbor Freight, knows it's junk. Even the Chinese who
make their stuff probably have their own special word for that junk they
produce.

But my question is this: Would a quality one work just the way it

supposed

to? I can feel the pipe flexing a little as I score it with the cutting
wheel, but no matter how hard I try I'm just making concentric circles
either up or down the tube.

Just wondering.

The other solution is to clamp it in my miter box and use my hacksaw.

Which,

come to think of it, is a pretty good solution.

Cheerio.

Mr Curious

You just flushed $12 down the toilet. For double the money you could
have bought a quality tool that you could have used for the rest of
your life. Instead you got a piece of useless junk which might be
worth 25 cents at a scrap metal yard. Harbor Freight does not sell
tools, they sell expensive scrap metal and plastic garbage.

Well, I kept the receipt, so I can return it. No problem.

And as for OP, yes, I think I alluded to that. Even making a joke about it.

It could be that your tool is bad, or you are
simply using it wrong. Starting off without the
too exactly perpendicular to the pipe, tightening
too fast, and turning the wrong direction will
lead to bad results. But the previous writer is
just full of it and is unwilling to recognize that
everyone sells stuff made in China. Other stores
do sell the identical tool for twice the price as
HF, but it is still the same tool made by the same
manufacturer and that includes Lowes, Home Depot,
Sears and a bunch of hardware stores. If you
want high quality, you will, in general, be paying
four or more times the HF price.