Dick

On Sun, 15 May 2005 15:13:46 -0500, "Hound Dog"
wrote:

"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message

I don't see it as any big deal. I bought a long sprinkler shut-off
tool from Home Depot. If I need to turn off the water, I just pop off
the meter box cover near the street and turn the water off. Would
take me just as long if the shut-off were next to the house.

Call your local water company and find out who would be required to pay the
cost of repairs if the valve at the street broke while you were turning it
off or on.

The local plumbers will not even touch that valve unless it's an absolute
emergency and I agree in writing to pay the cost, instead of them, if
something happens with that valve when they're working with it. They makes
an appointment with the city water department to turn the water off and on.
The city water department also recommends this procedure on each month's
water bill.

There is one valve before the water meter. That's the city's
responsibility. There is another valve after the water meter along
with a pressure regulator. That's my responsibility. I own
everything after the meter. Everything is in the same underground
vault.