George E. Cawthon

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"Dick" LeadWinger wrote in message

I don't see it as any big deal. I bought a long sprinkler shut-off
tool from Home Depot. If I need to turn off the water, I just pop off
the meter box cover near the street and turn the water off. Would
take me just as long if the shut-off were next to the house.

It is not a big deal if everything works OK. When you have to do a repair
at night, in the cold, in the rain or when something lets lose, finding that
shut-off tool can take an agonizingly long time. I want to be able to do it
quickly, from inside the house.

Not if the shut off valve is located at the far
end of the crawl space and access is through a
hatch in the floor of a closet with about a
zillion things piled on it, like at my house.
I've never turned the inside house valve off,
always used the valve at the street. Besides it
only requires a Crescent wrench. Now if I needed
a special wrench, I would paint the handle RED and
would hang it by the garage door and always
replace it whenever I used it. Course that would
keep some idiot child or spouse from moving it,
but if I had an idiot child or idiot spouse (or an
idiot me) I would buy a second wrench and hide it
in a special place that I would not likely forget.

What I can't imagine is having a flood from a
broken pipe or valve and waiting for the water
company to come turn the water off.