R. Mahone

How are you billed for water used? You must have some sort of water meter.
Maybe the cutoff valve is located on the supply side of the meter????? It
could even look like a large allen head fitting, that you insert the allen
wrench in to turn off.

"frank1492" wrote in message
Many thanks for all your replies! The house does
have a basement.
We will look for a shut-off just outside the house
but I am pretty sure none exists.
I am still surprised that so few newer houses have
an in-house main shutoff valve. What if a catastrophic
leak were to develop? The basement could fill up before
the water company arrived. And how about going away
for a prolonged period? Also if I want to do a little plumbing
project on a Sunday afternoon, I have to call the water
company, then get them back?
Life is a great teacher. I always think I understand the
world pretty well until I run into stuff like this...
Frank

On Sun, 15 May 2005 02:36:19 GMT, frank1492
wrote:

Some friends have recently acquired a new house in a modular
community. I was surprised to find that the only way to shut off the
water supply to the house is from the street! All the houses on the
street are set up the same way!
My question is this: Is this common practice? And, if so, is the
only reason it is done is to save 10 bucks on a valve?
Help much appreciated.
Frank