wayne

depending on how bad the bend is you could make a jig with some 4x4 and
1x4's for sides attach it to both sides with another piece of 4x4 kind of
like a long narrow clap and then using allthread tighten the allthread up to
squeeze the 4x4 together that might straiten the post if you can get to the
top once you have it pretty straight you could try to sleeve it on the
outside or inside with a pipe of a slightly different size, Inside would be
could as you could take pieces 3' long and slide them down once you hit the
curve using board pound the sleeve down with a sledge hammer?

Wayne

wrote in message
oups.com...
We have an installed basketball driveway hoop that was here when we
bought the house. It is a really nice glass backboard hoop that costs
probably close to $ 500 to replace. Anyway, when a guy was delivering
firewood a couple of years ago, he backed into it and bent it right
near the bottom. It is now listing to the right and it it really
annoying. I don't want to get rid of it because like I said it is such
a nice backboard. What can I do short of blow torching it off (I would
lose about 5 - 6 inches of height, but I would rather have it straight)
Then dig up the concrete, and re-set it in the ground? Seems like
alot of work, and I have no experience with a blow torch. Could I put
a chain around it up high and attach it to a vehicle and attempt to
re-straighten it, but would that be possible and wouldn't the bottom of
it be permanently weakend?

Any help would be appreciated