Backlash

RBM, just curious, what are your concerns as an electrician with the
clamping type connection? I used the term mainly to distinguish that I was
going to use something other than a back stab. I was debating with myself on
whether to use a wrap around the screw, or to use the clamping type
connection, where the wire is inserted into the rear of the device and the
screw tightened to secure it.

RJ

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
In over thirty years in the electrical business, I've seen a number of
badly backstabbed receptacles. In all cases the wire was improperly
inserted so the contact was not what it should be. I think they work just
fine if properly connected. I agree turning a wire on a screw is a more
positive connection, but I have serious doubts about screw clamps. I'd be
interested to see what those connections look like in twenty years
"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
The other problem that happens. When outlets are wired in a chain, one
outlet feeds the next one down the line. Sometimes a back stabbed wire
will
come loose, and then all the outlets down the line stop working. I've
seen
this twice.

I think "back stabbed" is the correct term, in meaning. Double meaning,
yes,
Brutus?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Backlash" wrote in message
I had a receptacle in one of my houses (late 70's)that a cord plugged
into
would fall right out. House is empty right now. I took the recptacle out,
and it had been backwired with the push-in stab method. The area of
connection was fried and crumbling. I shut off the power to the house and
started going all over it pulling receptacles and switches. I found 2
more
situations like this before I quit for the night. Needless to say, ALL
the
units in the house will be replaced, getting side terminal screw clamp
connections, after trimming back of wires. All wire nut connections will
also be checked. I checked and tightened all the connections in the main
panel when I bought the house, before power was turned on. I have always
been wary of the push-in connections, and now I know why. My opinion is
that
they are a fire waiting to happen. I also think the heat of the poor
connection is what annealed the grippers in the receptacle, causing it to
loose it's ability to hold the plug.
I'm posting this to make others aware of the potential of this type
situation to affect your lives, or the lives of others. Be sure your
electrical connections are good ones.

RJ