G Henslee

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
The "true pros" (with registered business names and tax IDs) *may* do
better at a tile (or electrical, or plumbing) supply company. But those
of us who are simply trying to fix our own homes will likely pay "List
Price" at these institutions: i.e, waaay more than we would at the borgs.

Re tile; Not so much anymore. The tile houses know they need to compete
some, and most often do. Many any more have their parking lot sales,
etc. As was stated by several others in the thread, we find prices as
low or lower at the tile houses. YMMV

Perhaps some of the stuff the borgs sell is inferior, but perhaps some
of it came off the same production line as the stuff at Joe's Tile
Supplies but simply got packaged and labeled differently (and priced
lower because the borgs buy in such huge quantities).

I had a problem once with a 12" floor tile that came from HD that wasn't
uniformly dimensional. I can't remember the mfg'er but it was a bitch
to set. I won't set floor tile from HD anymore. Also, they have a
limited range of other tile products, not just tile. And it's a fight
from start to finish to make decent time shopping and getting out of the
place.

Is that worth a few more bucks, if that? Yep.

Even if Joe's Tile Supplies and the borgs have identical brand-name
items, it's possible that JTS pays more for them than the borgs sell
them for, so JTS can't help but sell them for a higher price still. (But
the "true pros" may not care about the higher price if the service is
better, because they're going to pass the higher price on to their
customers anyway.)

Perce

Service is important. I dare say most non-pro customers would rather
shop at a tile house rather than HD. They get personal service in
showrooms, recieve help co-ordinating colors and selections, even design
assistance.

You're comparing apples and oranges.