Bob Eager

Default Eating fox? (Aldi).

On Sat, 8 May 2004 22:33:49 UTC, Andy Hall wrote:

Why on earth anybody would want to take a supermarket trolley home I
have no idea.

The local Netto do this. I don't often shop there, but there is one
particular product that happens to be difficult to find elsewhere.

The catchment area for that store is largely one of low-income families
who don't have cars, and can't afford/don't have a bus service. Taking
the trolley home is a good option in their case, especially when the
journey is some distance.

The solution of putting coin deposits and inconveniencing customers is
a poor substitute for doing the job properly and employing somebody to
collect up the trollies and returning them to their rightful place.

But it isn't a substitute, you see. It complements it. Most trolleys
either (a) don't leave the (small) car park, or they travel a long, long
way. The coin deposit is not a major inconvenience. As it happens, if
you *do* take a car, you also need a car park deposit as it's located in
an area where the car park would otherwise be misused by others.

Spread across the customer base, the cost of doing that is buttons,
which returns me to my original point that it's indicative of a place
selling on price and not quality or customer service.

No, it's impractical....a large area for collection (of the order of
square miles).
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!