Pop

"Jim" wrote in message
My aging riding mower is nearing replacement.
Although it has served its purpose I think this time
I'll go for a lawn tractor that better fits my 6'4"
frame.

For my needs most of the advertised models in the
$1,000 - $1,500 range seem sufficient. Question is
the relative value of the automatic transmission over
the regular.

My rider has the manual and has served well without
any tranny work. Other than laziness is there any
other advantage warranting the extra cost to go
automatic?

That depends on what "automatic" actually means to the
particular manufacturer using the term. It's worth
checking out.
I notice some have started calling the "Shift On
The Go: feature automatic now by removing the "notches"
on the gear shift knob. Automatic seems to range from
that, to a snowmobile-like force-shifting mechanism
based on how much power is being applied and the
resistance felt. It's still just conical pulley/s as
opposed to anything truly automatic in the low price
range most of us are can afford. If you go up in price
and quality, I understand John Deere makes a truly
automatic transmission, but I know nothing about it -
way too expensive for my use at over 8k.

HTH,

Pop