HorneTD

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 05/13/05 08:01 pm HorneTD tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I'm going to investigate further, but just to clarify:

1. There is no separate terminal on the switch for the pilot light;
that is hard-wired internally.

2. It's the pilot light (which is an LED, not neon or incandescent)
that glows with varying degrees of brightness: the CF floodlights
work just fine, just as the incandescents did.

There really aren't too many wiring possibilities: The switch has
Neutral (Silver screw), Ground (Green screw), Load/Common (Black
screw), two Travelers (Brass screws). The existing wires were two
Black and one Red, and I made new connections to the Neutral and
Ground. About the only thing I could have done wrong is mixed up the
two blacks.

I'm working from memory but I think the problem may be that the pilot
light can only be at the far end of the circuit so that it will only
have power when the light does. Could you tell me the brand and model
number of the switch so that I can confirm that for you.

The switches are both Pass & Seymour / Legrand TM83PLICC:

http://www.passandseymour.com/produc...ml?c=TM83PLICC

The P & S Wiring Diagrams page shows one 3-way switch with a pilot light
but notes that two could be used:

http://www.passandseymour.com/pdf/T013-19.pdf

(The picture on the far right in the 2nd row)

But although the two switches light with different intensities when they
light at all, they both illuminate only when the switch is in one
specific position, i.e., when power is applied to the lower of the two
Traveler terminals. And in that position, whether the outside lights are
on or off depends on the position of the other switch.

Perce

Do you still have the wiring diagrams that are included with the switch?
IIRC the switches have to be wired differently depending on which end
of the circuit their in.
--
Tom Horne