The Real Tom

On Fri, 13 May 2005 09:43:31 +0100, Bill Woods
wrote:

Do drill bits for use in ordinary "home use" drills get blunt with
the result that they work less well?

Yes, and very Yes when it happens to me.

I ask this because I recently used my hammer drill to make some 6mm
holes in masonry in the concrete ceiling above me and it seemed like
very slow work. When I used a smaller drill bit of about 4 to 5 mm
in the same masonry material then it was much, much easier to make
the hole. I used a vaccum cleaner to suck up particles and to
prevent the bit clogging with concrete dust.

Of course the smaller bit makes a hole with a smaller area but the
difference seemed far greater than this. I wonder if my 6mm drill
bit (and maybe others) need replacing?

This is the type of drill bit I used:
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/tooldev/images/items/24343.jpg
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/tooldev/images/items/9487.jpg