Stormin Mormon

I agree. Memory is that the milk speeds the decay some how, and it rots out.
I used to use saltpeter to make fireworks, and time delay fuses, and so on.
Yes, it releases oxygen, and makes organic products burn faster. I'd expect
it to rinse off in the first or second rain storm, so "months later"
wouldn't be very effective.

What comes to mind to me. I'd be trying long bore holes, and then leave it
for a day or two to let the holes dry out. Add the saltpeter and try to burn
the stump out an hour later.

I will refrain from mentioning ammonium nitrate. And won't even think of
mentioning ammonium and fuel oil.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Gideon" wrote in message
Stormin,

I've never heard of the powdered milk method, but it cannot be
similar to the methods using saltpeter (or any other nitrate).
When allowed to soak in well over the coarse of a few months,
the saltpeter basically turns the entire stump into a very low
grade gunpowder. It certainly isn't going to deflagrate ("explode"),
but it will burn very easily now since the smoldering wood
continually heats the imbedded nitrates, which release oxygen.
An application of kerosene (fuel oil) an hour of so before ignition
helps tremendously.

Powdered milk cannot behave that way. The powdered milk
should be used in conjunction with an application of some nitrogen
source (compost, manure, any high nitrogen fertilizer). The
combination of the two will greatly accelerate the decomposition
process, which is fine if the homeowner can live with the resulting
mushrooms that will grow off the decomposing stump and roots.

Gideon

=======

Stormin Mormon wrote in message ...
I've heard of boreholes, and packing in powdered milk. I don't know if that
helps.

Saltpeter is potassium nitrate. Though, they are very similar in their
effect.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message

In the old days we would use a brace and bit to bore 1 inch holes in the
stump. These would be filled with sodium nitrate (aka "saltpeter").
Several months later, the stump could be burned out.