mrcheerful

Default Do masonry drill bits get blunt?

"Bill Woods" wrote in message
Do drill bits for use in ordinary "home use" drills get blunt with
the result that they work less well?

I ask this because I recently used my hammer drill to make some 6mm
holes in masonry in the concrete ceiling above me and it seemed like
very slow work. When I used a smaller drill bit of about 4 to 5 mm
in the same masonry material then it was much, much easier to make
the hole. I used a vaccum cleaner to suck up particles and to
prevent the bit clogging with concrete dust.

Of course the smaller bit makes a hole with a smaller area but the
difference seemed far greater than this. I wonder if my 6mm drill
bit (and maybe others) need replacing?

This is the type of drill bit I used:
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/tooldev/images/items/24343.jpg
http://www.tool-up.co.uk/tooldev/images/items/9487.jpg

those don't look like very good quality, rather than sharpen them, go and
buy a real drill and bits, a good quality sds drill at about 100 pounds and
some sds bits to go with it, I have found practically no difference in
quality between cheap and expensive sds bits (ymmv) but the actual electric
drill quality varies a bit, the cheapy heavy sds from the sheds works great
but only if you are strong, a good quality bosch or aeg drill is much nicer
though.

mrcheerful