larry

Hi Bob,

funny, last night i was playing with the electronics in my wg5200er.
either your timer is getting set and turning it back on, or more likely,
it's getting reset by either just loosing line voltage or getting a
"power glitch" and thinks it was just plugged in again. you might even
be able to determine which! if the temp is at 72 degrees when it
mysteriously starts, it thinks it was just plugged in. if you set the
temp at say 75 and it starts up and still reads 75, the timer got set
somehow. but if it starts up and now reads 72, the power "glitched"
somehow. you might also put a piece of black tape over the IR detector
to see if it's getting something that it's mistaking for a remote
control(not likely). i would suspect the power to the unit, can you
try another house circuit for a night?

I don't know about your model, but mine has two circuit boards shown on
the schematic (label on top of plastic frame that holds the circuit
boards and capacitor). One is the display/keyboard(single ribbon cable)
and the other is the microprocessor board that has all the connections
to the power cord, compressor, and fan.

if anyone has one of these that got run over by a truck, i would love to
buy your processor board from it! I have a GE that i would love to make
as smart as the GS ;-) A new board is about twice the cost of the a/c
($99), but of course a new compressor is $350. I could just get another
GS too, but where's the fun in that.

-larry / dallas

Bob Mariotti wrote:
It is an
electronically controlled unit and when it is shut off by pressing the
POWER button either on the control panel or the remote, it shuts off
but randomly will power itself back on. It will do this anywhere from
a few minutes to several hours after being shut off. While this does
not impair how the unit cools it is annoying when it happens either in
the middle of the night or off-season (read-Winter). To prevent
this from happening I must unplug the unit from the power output.

According to a parts
explosion diagram I located online, there are TWO electronic boards
listed with part no.s 6871A20186A and 6871A20167C. I cannot tell
which board does what as they are located in the same general area.