Philip Lewis

(Doug Miller) writes:
It means that the red and green wires are reversed somewhere between the
demarc box and the outlet.

or that it's reversed someplace before it even gets to the house
Steph, did you test at the box?

Many modern phones will work with reverse wiring. Back in the early
80s i had a modem that would not work in one configuration, so I
switched the polarity in the box. Afterwards, the phone would not
produce the tones for dialing... so i had to tap them out using the
hook.

That's because modern telephones need only the red and green.

unless they're two line.

since the landlord has about 1-2 feet of books, newspapers, magazines, etc.

I guess it must be pretty hard to move that stuff, huh?

I know I don't make a habit of messing with other people's things.
Heck, I don't like going into my wife's purse when she *asks* me to.

--
be safe.
flip