Gideon

Bob,

I like that suggestion. If a person has access to an impact wrench
and one or more scissors jacks, then that might be an easier
and faster method. (An impact wrench in conjunction with a
scissors jack is a very effortless way to jack up or lower cars.)

I'm curious if a chain under a root and connected to two jacks
straddling the root would work easily. That would greatly
reduced the amount of digging under the root. A common
compressed air line splitter plus a second impact wrench would
make it possible to operate both jacks at the same time if
a person was using the scissors jacks.

I enjoy yanking out stumps and bushes with a strong metal
wire and a vehicle, but it is a bit dangerous to property, vehicle
and people. Plus it isn't always practical.

Gideon

Bob wrote:

The last one I removed, I dug underneath the (reversed) saddle of the roots,
slid a plywood board underneath it, slid my floor jack between the plywood
and the stump, and jacked it out of the ground. Jack till it starts to lean
too much, re-position the jack to work more on the resisting side, add
blocks as needed to get more motion.

Bob