trader-of-some-jacks wrote:
I recently brought down the remains of a mostly-rotted tree from my
yard. It had snapped during the winter in a windstorm.

snip
What to do now with the stump? I don't want to pay a stump remover if I
can avoid it. Money (probably $75) isn't the big issue; the big issue
is that they'll then make a massive hole and dirt spot in my
otherwise-immaculate front yard, and that spot will be a bear to get to
look nice.

Your otherwise immaculate front yard had a dead and rotting tree in it.
Rent a stump grinder, grid it down, then spend you effort on fixing up the
lawn: stumpgrinders don't leave a hole really: it's still filled with the
dirt and wood chips that were there. A bit of topsoil and a bit of new
turf and you're back in business.

Everything else you're going to try will only make a bigger eyesore for
longer.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two deviations to get cool.